Thursday, June 17, 2010

Be as though you're a wayfarer

Hadith 40 (Nawawi)

On the authority of Abdullah bin Omar, who said: The messenger of Allah took me by the shoulder and said: "Be in the world as though you were a stranger or a wayfarer."

The son of Omar used to say: "At evening do not expect [to live till] morning, and at morning do not expect [to live till] evening. Take from your health for your illness and from your life for your death."

related by Bukhari

My own comments:

When I first read this, I was kind of confused with what the statement meant (I read the Indonesian version first; Jadilah Orang Asing [???]). I mean why become a foreigner? But this ones straight forward. This world's a transit. A terminal at the airport. You in someone else crib. And you're a stranger. This place doesn't belong to you. You should therefore respect the place. And since it's temporary and this place is unknown (you're a stranger remember?), so plan ahead to survive. Plan ahead for the next destination. It could mean some point ahead in time. As well as your final one. You never know how long you'll be here. Make every second count. Because there's no going back.

No comments: