Friday, February 26, 2010

Hallux valgus at the mosque


I just hadta write this one as soon as I got back.

Went to the mosque for Asar prayers. I was about to take ablution at the tap outside the mosque but offered to this pakcik instead to take his ablution first. That's when I noticed he hada bilateral hallux valgus, his second toe crossing above his first like when you cross your fingers whenever you lie, and the medial side of where the distal end of his metatarsal bone was grossly swollen although I did not notice any ulcerations or abrasions.

He was your average pakcik, thinning grey hair, wearing horizontal striped collared maroon - white T-shirt and brown pants. He walk this his feet like he was used to it.

I kept thinking, I need to get a picture of his feet! for my own collection.

And what luck! I stood next to him during prayers. That distrupted my concentration (habis tak khusyuk). Kept thinking how could I ask for his consent for me to snap a picture of his feet. This was the worse case I've seen so far, and I'm quite sure this degree of hallux valgus is not very common. I just needed a picture. And a reason to ask for it.

So I completed the prayer. Completed the after prayer doa, and walked with the pakcik. Braved myself to start a conversation.

"Assalamualaikum, pakcik."
"Waalaikumsalam."
"Saya perasan kaki pakcik tu. Pakcik ada pernah jumpe doctor nak tengok?"
"Ape? Jari kaki nih? Pakcik doktor."

Disbelief and dumbfounded. Huh???

"Pakcik doktor apa?"
"Pakcik doktor bedah"

Really thought he was pulling my leg.

"Where do you work at?"
"Kerja kat Jalan Hospital, I'm a senior consultant, plastic surgeon. I'm also with USM's plastic surgery masters program. I was retired but now reserviced."

In that instant, terus cold feet to ask for that consent. Gahahaha!

"Oh. Cause that's the worst case of hallux valgus I've seen."

Pakcik surprised.

"Are you a doctor?"
"No, I'm a medical student"
"Where?"
"Kuantan, with UIA"
"Oh, I've been having this for a long time and it has progressively worsen. Tapi tak sakit ke apa. If tak sakit toksoh kacau."

He walked to his Volvo, me to my Myvi and went our seperate ways.

Aku gelak je sorang2 dalam keta. Didn't even tried asking for the photos.

Macam-macam orang you can meet at the mosque.

(Order of the conversation was based on very poor memory despite the event occuring only a few minutes ago)

No comments: