Saturday, January 30, 2010

Peace Be Upon You!

Assalamualaikum
'Peace be upon you'

It was just then while I was jogging uphill (xde connection ape2) that the thought occurred to me. Coolnye greeting ni.

Contemporary greets include:

Hi
Hey
How are you?
Oi
Wei
Yo
How you doin?
Sup
Waddup
Dude
Dude!
Eya.........

But when you utter assalamualaikum to a brother or a sister, you're sorta saying

I hope you're at peace (with whatever).
I hope you are well.
I hope things go well for you.
I hope you're doing okay.

Even if the person is not at peace, you're wishing peace for him.

In other words, you are making doa for him/her.

What is a better greeting than that? Than wishing someone the best?

And what is a better respond than Waalaikumsalam? Same meaning only you put an 'and'. Its only courteous for the other person to wish the same for the other person.

Masyallah how the Muslim way of life wishes the best for their brothers and sisters.

So what's stopping us from making this a daily natural greet?

Is it too long to say? Too cumbersome? Too uncool? Too sqema? Too Islamic? Or not too up-to-date?

Or we just don't want peace with the other dude?


And Waalaikumsalam.

No comments: